But some things need to be said (eventually) so I delivered the following letter (by email with a read receipt - so I know he got it) to the PO of my old congregation a few days ago.
Waiting to see how the powers-that-be (who move in mysterious ways) will respond, if at all.
Here's what it says...
This is to inform you that I disassociate myself from the Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Watchtower Society.
I regret that I was ever associated with an organization that:
- · Breaks up families and drives people to suicide through its shunning policy.
- · Teaches that people who have chosen to leave are “mentally diseased” http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/28/jehovahs-witness-magazine_n_985479.html http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/8791196/Police-inquiry-over-Jehovahs-Witness-magazine-mentally-diseased-article.html http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/war-of-words-breaks-out-among-jehovahs-witnesses-2361448.html
- · Drives its members into depression with unreasonable expectations , mixed messages and emotional blackmail http://masonemerson.freeyellow.com/christianwitnessescom/id178.html https://www.change.org/p/launch-an-investigation-to-determine-if-jehovah-s-witnesses-have-a-right-to-use-coercion-forms-of-mental-torture-to-force-its-members-not-to-leave
- · Protects sexual abusers in positions of authority instead of protecting and seeking justice for the young victims http://www.silentlambs.org/ http://www.cbsnews.com/news/another-church-sex-scandal/ http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2001/march5/11.23.html/ http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/panorama/2119903.stm
- · Pays out millions to settle sexual abuse cases but keeps the rank and file in ignorance on these matters. http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/oct/31/jehovahs-witness-sex-abuse-judgment-lopez/ (I wonder how ordinary JWs feel about their contributions being used in this way.)
- · Warps young minds with “us and them” thinking and graphic pictures and descriptions of death and destruction, which I consider to be an insidious form of child-abuse. I personally know of children who have told fellow classmates (with delight) that Jehovah is going to kill them.
- · Revels in spreading the “good news” that everyone but them will die horrible deaths at Armageddon – an event they have predicted dozens of times, but remains “around the corner”, “on the horizon”, “on our doorstep” etc… etc… I personally have been in the company of those who are thrilled at the idea that Jehovah is going to slaughter those who will not listen and toe the line.
- · Discourages people from educating themselves adequately, to the detriment of themselves and their families.
- · Constantly changes policies under the pretense that such changes are “new light” when, in fact, they are simply made up by a group of men with their own agenda who have no idea what the rank and file go through in trying to adhere to these policies. http://jwsurvey.org/cedars-blog/i-do-not-answer-to-watchtower-stunning-gerrit-losch-declaration-revealed
- · Are prepared to take fractions of blood donated by “worldly” people (the same worldly people who are not worthy of associating with and will die horribly at Armageddon), but don’t donate to blood banks themselves.
- · Makes inconsistent and unsupported rulings that affect millions of lives around the world. One particularly tragic example being the situation in Malawi as compared with that in Mexico in the 1970s and 1980s when a Watchtower doctrinal principle that lead to the torture and death of 1000’s of Malawian Witnesses was excused for those in Mexico. Malawian Witnesses suffered unspeakable atrocities due to following the Watchtower’s policy forbidding them to hold a political card in a one party state. During the same period, Witnesses in Mexico were permitted to bribe officials for a Cartilla card in order to escape military service.
Anyway, I could go on and on, but it would be pointless as apparently I am “mentally diseased” in your eyes.
I can’t wipe out the memories of the anguish I suffered by being emotionally blackmailed into adhering to mind-controlling policies that make no sense, enforced by mere men who are so often not living up to those policies themselves, nor can I regain the 17 years I wasted as a JW, but at least I have the peace of mind of knowing that I’m done with the hypocrisy of the Jehovah’s Witnesses.
Kindly ensure that all my records are destroyed.